Wednesday 7 May 2008

The Sunshine Sessions

The recent wave of gorgeous weather has had me longing to get outside more. However I struggle to do things productive with music out there other than song writing, so I have decided to do a little series called 'The Sunshine Sessions.' There's nothing too special about it, it'll just be me and my guitar like many of my videos, but I'll be out in the garden (and maybe the local park if I can be bothered) and I won't be using proper recording gear, just the mic on my camera (which it turns out, is pretty good!)

I like playing outside, you get all the background noises, water fountains, birds, a plane goes overhead at the start of the first one!

So I have done two songs today and I may go out again tomorrow and record a couple more. The videos are going to be really simple, the audio will have no effects and I'm only giving myself one take for each song so it's not going to be polished, there will probably be a mistake or two, but it will be real, just like you were sitting in my garden with me. At least, that's the plan.

You never know how long this weather will be with us so I'm going to put the videos up quite quickly, probably one a day. Then hopefully it will still be nice when people are watching, I don't want it to have gone cold and wet and for my videos to remind everyone of that!


So yes, I let the weather run my life. I am English.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds cool, I keep going out into the garden it's well nice. I might take my guitar out later, for some reason it's really relaxing playing outside.

Anonymous said...

i like your writings :) looking forward to them songs, and CANNOT wait for the ep. and you now have your own section in my iTunes, and iris is most played :)

Anonymous said...

haha sounds gd... meanwhile i've been sunbathing =)

Anonymous said...

ah, that sounds wonderful :)

Anonymous said...

I like this idea. It pleases me! going to look through my moozik and find something summery that I'd like you to cover, then I'm gonna say "Dave, can you cover this please" and then you'll be like "If I have time", and I'll be like "WHAT? Come on Dave, it'll be awesome" and then you'll be like "Don't pressure me, this is exactly why I can't be with you", and I'll be like "Oh"

Anonymous said...

I enjoy watching you outside much more than in your room ^_^

Anonymous said...

YEAH! i am so excited. im listening to the first one and it is really pretty outside! i love spring! and i cant wait for more!

Anonymous said...

good

Anonymous said...

Tell me about it. The weather is wicked right now. I think this is what's good about English weather. We always complain when it rains, but as soon as there is sunshine, everyone shuts up and enjoys themself.

Anonymous said...

well you achieved your goal, it actually feels like i was sitting in the garden with you! the weather here in germany is just as beautiful so i have a sunny feeling from outside and from my computer! how perfect is that?? i'm really looking forward to the next ones of the series!
love Caro

Anonymous said...

Great idea Dr Dave!
The British weather is actually shocking me at the moment.. Instead of lessons today, we just sat in Central Park with ice-creams and bottles of lemonade, until one of the teachers came into the park, and then joined us!!
Oh! What lovely weather!
I look forward to hearing more of songtime with dave :) xx

Anonymous said...

one take eh? proof of your amazingness

Anonymous said...

Downloaded the Sunshine Sessions during the past weekend July 5th -6th from the "Buy It" link on your YouTube page. I had my VISA at the ready but turns out it was just a joke, although I was absolutely ready to pay. Oh yeah, the JPEG pic you included in the download, of you seated on the little bridge, barefoot in white tee and slightly torn jeans with your guitar -- I made that into wallpaper for my computer -- I hope you won't mind that I photoshopped out the text -- the better to focus attention on you, and it does make my icons easier to see. As I think I commented, your picture just takes me back to a happy time and place in my own life. Anyhow, your music now appears right after Ben Jellen in my library -- hopefully that's a good omen.

All best wishes Dave.

Your devoted fan,
JP (who in real life is yet another Dave)

Anonymous said...

I really love your work, and then you go out and make it so nice outdoors. These are just beautiful! I love them, very inspiring, thank you!