Wednesday 14 May 2008

Some fucking clowns from myspace

Just sent me a message saying my untitled track is 'identical' to their song and they reckon I ripped it off. Several problems I have with this...

1. This song of theirs isn't even on their page so I can't listen to it, I don't even know if it exists.

2. They are Italian, the only song they have up is in Italian, and the title of the song I supposedly ripped off is "Pane e verità". Now I'm quite particular about my lyrics, I pay very close attention to them, and as such I'm pretty sure I would notice if I had any songs WRITTEN IN ITALIAN!

3. As a songwriter I've never been so insulted. Who the fuck would do that?

4. The one song they did have on their page was shit. If I was ever to intentionally steal someones song (would absolutely, unequivocally, NEVER happen, but for argument's sake...) it would be someone good.

But my real concern is that I know fuck all about copyright, I don't know if the files on my computer are enough, dates posted on websites I would think are official and recorded. But I don't even know when they wrote/recorded their song. For all I know it is before mine. I had a look just now and apparently you have to post songs to yourself and not open them unless it's ever required in court. I guess I'll start doing that. I never even dreamt of this happening.

What I do know is that around a year ago, maybe more I can't remember, I sat down in my room, on my own and wrote every fucking word.

And it's the best thing I've written.

p.s. If this is any of you playing an elaborate practical joke, tell me now or I will actually murder you.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

it has to be a prank lol. i doubt they could do anything to you even if it wasnt

Anonymous said...

Oh god, who would play such a prank?
Anyway we can't investigate on our own because you left out their name (On purpose I know). And you do have a very good point about stealing a song from another language...

Anonymous said...

Dave, Your stuff is copyright the moment you publish it or write it down. In this case probably when you posted it up on YouTube. You don't have to post stuff to yourself, that is a fallacy but you do need evidence of when it was written. If it was on your computer the original file date will be on it.

Anonymous said...

yeah you have to post it to yourself for official copyright but the date you uploaded it to website would still stand in court, I had a similar problem with a poem I wrote but the people who claimed it was theirs didn't look at the date I had published it and theirs was after the date I had so I was entitled to sue them for breach of copyright,

Dont worry about it for now unless they press legal proccedings, which is unlikely but just go see citizens advice for help as I know nothing about international copyright

is my favourite song other than puzzle pieces and I don't doubt you wrote it so I guess most of your fans are behind you so don't worry so much, some people are just d**ks I guess

Anonymous said...

I know you would never do that! You are too good to steal stuff from other people. I think those bastards are just jealouse because you are so talented and they can't write any good songs... don't worry everything will be fine! :)

Anonymous said...

They're just jelous,You've got SO much talent,you'd never to steal

Anonymous said...

Two words: Jealous much?
Of course they're going to try and make it like you stole their song, honestly who calls a song bread and truth? What is this some sort of campaign slogan? Sounds like Lenin's April Thesis! (Sorry I'm doing a lot of history at the mo, it's starting to creep into everyday life)
So yeah you could always tell them to "va fanculo" but I doubt that'd be well received in the highly unlikely case of it going to court:P
They're just sick they couldn't write it. Twill all blow over and all will be well and other reassuring things one says:D

Anonymous said...

That sucks, I think someones just trying to steal your thunder, have you seen Secret Window?

Anyways, I wouldn't worry too much about it, but I have no fucking clue how to copyright shit, I'll look into it when I actually post songs for once, I think you should tell us who it is and we can all make fun of him. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow those indecent idiots. I'm sorry Dave, i hope things get better.
At least it's sunny out, and your songs make everything grand. =)

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry I can't help you out with the copyright knowhow (just as clueless as you are and maybe even more so when it comes to that) but pfft!! They sound pretty petty, nooby and jealous. *poke*